Monday, June 4, 2012

surfing, indonesia:

I'm very excited to be having my amazing man, Andrew, doing a bit of  guest post for you all! He's going to share all about his surf adventure in Sumatra, with photos* of perfect waves, palm trees, sunsets and all that nice stuff!


Take it away Andy!


-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Well after so much travel without surf, I decided to take a quick break to the islands of Indonesia with a friend, leaving Gemma and her sister to explore northern Sumatra, while we explored the isolated southern Sumatra for uncrowded waves.
A quick flight from Jakarta was contrasted by a windy six hour drive to a surf camp, started  seven years ago by two guys from Australia. Our arrival was met with a perfect sunset over what looked to be some pretty fun waves.

It had been ten years since I first visited Indonesia for a surf adventure, and it was much the same as I had remembered it. The locals were very friendly and welcoming, the food was great and the waves did not disappoint.
The waves around this area are more suited for bodyboarding, so I left my longboard and other boards at home. 
The area that we stayed in was really uncrowded, with no airport or any real infrastructure for travellers apart from the surf camps and a few home stays. The beaches were beautiful and quiet, with the locals coming out at low tide to collect seaweed off the reef and to fish. Apart from that, the beaches were desolate, and the views from the water were so serene with dense jungle, volcanoes and beautiful sunrises.
There are many reasons to go to the islands of Indonesia, especially if you surf or enjoy the ocean, it's a great place to be. Gemma and I look forward to exploring some more of it's wild tropical beauty in years to come.



AM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


*a little apology for the quality of some of these images. some are film grabs from a gopro.


























14 comments:

  1. Don't know where to start, I am gobsmacked! Fantastic, thank you so much for sharing these wonderful photos!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So so beautiful! Nicely done, Andrew. Are the underwater photos taken with the GoPro? I LOVE the first underwater shot with the light streaming through. Is the GoPro footage posted online anywhere? I know Yuriy would love to see it (he is always taking his GoPro skiing and biking, but def no surfing around here)!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hey! Andy used the Canon s95 with an underwater housing for those first shots you are talking about and the GoPro for all the surfing shot towards the end. You need a special filter for it to film underwater in focus, otherwise it comes out all blurry. Andy is in the process of creating a video with all his footage, so I'll let you know when it's up! :)

      Delete
  3. seriously amazing, feeling very inspired by your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Absolutely stunning photography! Makes me so wanderlust-y

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aaaaah, paradise! Love that one sunset shot over the rice field. The sky looks ablaze! ;D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Too wondrous to be true...my favorite is the underwater shot. You are brilliant.
    Much love from Indonesia :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks fantastic!
    I will be spending about a month in Sumatra and I'm looking for a nice surfcamp as I decided it's time for my first surflessons..
    Can you recommend this camp? Where can I find it/whats the name of the camp?

    Thanks!
    Dorith

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Dorith, my husband stayed at this place http://secretsumatra.com/ - but I think it's more geared towards experienced surfers, as there are lots of reef breaks. Might be worth contacting them to see what they can offer or if they can recommend anywhere for lessons.

      Delete
  8. This is something really nice and interesting,.
    Thanks for sharing about this place,
    Go Pro Hero 4 Black 4k

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...