Monday, October 21, 2013

kuala lumpur, malaysia - part 1:



Our 10-day South-East Asia adventure started in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. 
We decided to extend our stop-over in KL, staying the night, as neither my sister, mother nor myself had ever visited.
I was eager to check KL out, firstly as I had never visited before, and secondly it is the birth place of my dad. I had heard many stories from my grandparents about their few years spent in Malaysia, where my grandfather worked, and where my dad and his brothers spent the first few years of their lives. 
The first thing that really caught my attention, was how multi-cultural the city is. Being a major trading hub from back in the day, Kuala Lumpur, and Malaysia as a whole represents   a vast majority of Asia, with Malay, Chinese, Indian and many other communities living together and practising their various beliefs (Islam is the national religion however). There is also a colonial influence, seen in the architecture, from when Malaysia was subject to the British Empire. It all makes for a really fascinating blend, which we discovered on foot, walking throughout the different neighbourhoods and discovering little pockets of KL's rich heritage.
We joined a walking tour, lasting approximately five hours, that took us to Little India, Chinatown and all sorts of different places, sampling the different flavours, observing various religious ceremonies and soaking up what Kuala Lumpur is all about. Having such a short time in KL, it was such a great way to get a taste for the city and its vibrancy.

next: more photos from Kuala Lumpur, and then it's on to Luang Prabang, Laos.


inside a taoist temple












on the streets


kompleks dayabumi


fish laksa


roti (one of my all time favourites)

hot tea



jalan alor night markets



2 comments:

  1. These are some beautiful shots of Malaysia! I also remember being surprised at how multicultural KL was, too. I can't wait to see your photos of Laos!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hye, I'm from Malaysia. It's always exciting to see Malaysia in the point view of a tourist. Sometimes I haven't even see the parts of Malaysia that tourists discovered. I know Malaysia is a nice place to visit. But most tourists said the weather is pretty intense ere ;)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...